Two district pubs have been named among the best in the Shepherd Neame empire.
The Faversham brewer has just held its annual pub awards which assess all its 322 premises across the UK.
It recognised the Old Neptune on the beach at Whitstable as the 2018 Tenanted Pub of the Year while the Granville at Street End, Canterbury, was handed the 2018 Best Pub Food award.
- Canterbury has the potential to be a regional powerhouse
- My plan to persuade the supermarkets to use less packaging
Licensee Darren Wilton and wife Keely collected the Old Neptune’s award.
Darren said: “I’m elated to win this award. We work really hard, and for our efforts to be acknowledged in this way is just fantastic.
“The Neppy is a very special pub, and hopefully this award will encourage more people to come down to Whitstable and see what we have to offer.”
Jim Cleaver and Charlotte Hogben received the award for The Granville.
“We are passionate about food so it is fantastic to win this award,” said Jim, an award-winning chef.
“Our aim is to use the best local produce to create dishes that are imaginative but still affordable. We have a fantastic team of staff at the Granville and I’m so pleased that their hard work has been recognised.”
Shepherd Neame chief executive Jonathan Neame said: “This has been a year of record investment in our pub estate, as we aim to attract our customers through great design, to excite them with a superb offer and to retain them by providing a memorable experience.
“These awards are aimed at recognising the hard work, dedication, and creativity of our licensees, managers and staff, and celebrating excellence in our industry.”
The full list of winners
- Beer Hero : Adelaide, Teddington
- Best Floral Display: Britannia, Guildford
- Heart of the Community: Crown & Sceptre, Dover
- Pub Food: Granville, Canterbury
- Pub Restaurant: The Farm House, West Malling
- Turnaround Pub: Royal Oak, New Ash Green
- New Licensee: Dave McLelland of The George Inn, Walton-on-Thames
- Manager of the Year: Lauren Weight of Pier Five, Chatham
- Tenanted Pub of the Year: Old Neptune, Whitstable
- Managed Pub of the Year: Mabel’s Tavern, London
- Fifty Years of Service: Trade Quality Services Advisor Bryan Mulhern
- Sixty Years of Service: Sarah Pemble, licensee at the Pepper Box Inn, Ulcombe
- Lifetime Achievement: Gordon Cooper and Jenny Dale, retiring licensees at the Coach & Horses, Whitstable
- Shepherd Neame Pub of the Year: Crown & Cushion, Blackwater