Canterbury City Council has issued a public safety warning after the discovery of a deadly algae at Stodmarsh Nature Reserve.
It follows testing by the Environment Agency which found the blue-green vegetation in the reserve, which lies in the valley of the Great Stour river between Westbere and Grove Ferry.
A council spokesman said: “The algae can cause illness in humans and can be fatal to animals. Keep yourselves and pets safe by avoiding the water until further notice.”
- VIDEO: Kent’s Duncan Spencer was fast…as Viv Richards found out
- Will authorities finally solve the curse of Longmarket parking?
The reserve is famous for attracting rare and endangered bird species as well as otters and water voles.