Man treated for smoke inhalation after hob fire

The Kent Fire and Rescue Service were called out (stock image)

Firefighters called to a house in St Albans Road in Hersden near Canterbury found a man suffering from smoke inhalation.

Paper left on a switched on electric hob ring ignited at just after 6pm last night (Tuesday).

Crews gave a man in his 50s oxygen therapy. He initially refused further medical treatment, but then took himself to hospital.

The property’s kitchen suffered smoke and heat damage.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service said: “We urge people to keep the tops of their cookers and hobs free and clean from clutter and to avoid using them as storage.

“Tea towels can also be hazardous items around the hob area and can often be left too close to the gas or electric rings – which can also lead to fires.”

Crews left the scene at 6.40pm.

The fire service offers free home safety advice. Call 0800 923 7000 for information or to book a home visit.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here