Fire crews called to blaze at student building

Giles Lane, which runs east to west through the University of Kent campus

A woman in her early 20s was treated for smoke inhalation after a cooking fire in Giles Lane, Canterbury.

Firefighters were called to the third floor of the building at the University of Kent at 1.15pm yesterday.

The woman had left a small amount of cooking oil in a pan and was alerted to the fire when smoke alarms went off.

She returned to the room and threw water over the small fire.

The Kent Fire and Rescue Service said: “The woman was lucky to have escaped serious injury because adding water to a fire involving hot oil can be extremely dangerous.

“The safest thing to do if you discover a fire in your home is to turn off the heat if it’s safe to do so, get out of the property, closing the internal doors on your way out and phone 999.

“Firefighters used a special fan to clear smoke from the property. The fire caused the electrics to trip, which isolated the heat source.”

Paramedics gave the woman a check for smoke inhalation, but she was not taken to hospital.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here