Candle causes blaze in bathroom

The Kent Fire and Rescue Service were called out (stock image)

Firefighters were called to a flat in Canterbury after an unattended candle started a fire.

Crews went to the New Dover Road property at 12.15 when a resident found his house full of smoke.

Wearing breathing apparatus, they found a small fire in an upstairs bathroom and put it out.

They discovered that an unattended candle on a window sill had set fire to a blind.

Fire safety manager Rob Groombridge said: “This incident highlights the need to take particular care if you are using candles at home.

“Ensure candles are placed in a heatproof holder away well away from window sills, curtains, blinds and other items that could catch fire.

“Always make sure the candle is fully extinguished after use, or if you have to leave the room, and ensure you have working smoke alarms fitted on each floor of you home to provide early warning in the event of a fire.”

The firefighters left the scene at just after 12.30pm.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here